First Baptist desires to be a light that
- Attracts - welcoming people of all ages
- Warms - serving our community (through the use of our time, resources, and abilities)
- Guides - enriching lives through the Word of God
- Shines - presenting the good news of Jesus
A Brief Church History
- 1877-July 19-Church Organized
- 1881-September 5-Charles Wassell accepted the call to become the first pastor of the 20-member congregation
- 1882-The congregation was given an acre of land on Maple Drive by J.J. Wiltse and the first church building was erected.
- 1906-Rev. L. J. Olson became the pastor and gradually the Swedish language was replaced by English.
- 1916-Demolition of the old church building took place, and the new building was completed.
- 1975-The congregation built and moved into a new building at 954 S. Bay Shore Drive, on the south side of Sister Bay, where the church is today.
- 1993-The congregation added an education wing and library.
Besides being our primary worship space, the church auditorium is also used for various community events.
Our newly updated Gathering Room is a busy place! Many Bible Studies, prayer meetings, senior groups, meals and local AA chapter meetings happen here.
We are blessed to have a full size, indoor gymnasium. In addition to being available for church events and programs, the gym is used for league basketball practice and games, Red Cross blood drives and several Boy Scout events during the year.
Our Sister Church - Ukraine
Ukraine is located on the north shore of the Black Sea and Southwest of Russia. It was a Russian vassal-state for a thousand years, the home of the Cossacks. It was part of the Soviet Union until 1992 when independence was achieved and Ukraine became a free and democratic state. Krasnapolia is a village in the Sumy Oblast District of Ukraine on the far western border of Russia.
What are we doing with our Sister-Church?
Aside from visiting each other, we have provided financial support for their Bible Camp, which is similar to our Vacation Bible School. We have also provided monies for improvement on their church facilities. In the future, we hope to send a group of members to assist in these improvements and their church programs.